As I have worked for many years, I have a fairly extensive and varied work history, and with a wide variety of work experience comes a few acquired skills such as versatility, cooperation, and an adaptability to new settings. Specifically, within the field of education and in working with children, I have been fortunate enough to have some impactful and unique experiences that has set me on the path of teaching as a career.

Academic Tutor

Throughout 2019, I worked as a tutor in the Academic Success Center(ASC) at the University of the Fraser Valley. Since enrollment in 2017, I had started studying the Japanese language, and while it was very interesting, finding help in dealing with the immense amount of work that is required to learn Japanese, or any language for that matter, was something that I, or my classmates had found to be easy. As I worked through the first year and a half, I began volunteering in the beginner classes as an aid, and eventually, after meeting one of the supervisors of the ASC, began working as a tutor in order to provide some more support for the struggling Japanese language students. The role of a peer tutor was very new to me, and I was not restricted to tutoring only language students, but students of many subjects. Within this context, I was able to develop my ability to be personable with whoever came in for help, as well as my ability to ask questions that guided the students to discover the answers they were looking for. I found the job of aiding students in their learning to be greatly rewarding, and I realized how essential it is for students to simply receive encouragement. I hope to develop these skills further in the coming years.

Daycare Facilitator

Between 2008 and 2015, I worked in two separate daycare facilities as a teacher, and while I had very little experience with children at the time I began, I very quickly developed a passion and an aptitude for it. I worked primarily with children between the ages of 5 and 12 and my role as a teacher required me to develop weekly lessons, games and activities, and support some children with special needs. I took my role as an influence in the children’s lives very seriously and tried to build genuine relationships with each of them. In doing this, the children reciprocated respect for me and for the rules of the daycare, which did significantly reduce the level of enforcement that I needed to use. I also found that if I was able to understand them better, I was able to develop lessons and games that they were interested in, which again increased their respect for me, each other, and the rules of the daycare. This job left such a lasting mark on me, and I found so much purpose in helping to give positive experiences and to shape the minds of children, that it led me to the path towards being an educator that I am currently on.