University of the Fraser Valley

Teacher Education Program Director

Abbotsford, BC

V2S 7M8

Attn: Barbara Salingré

After working with children for roughly 7 years, as my work history shows, I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to become a teacher. I found that working with children was inspiring in a way that my previous jobs were not, and surprisingly, I would often receive compliments on how I handled difficult situations, related to the parents, and created a warm and supportive environment for the children. This job brought out my very best, and so, I decided to get my undergrad done so that I could take the Teacher Education program. My years at university have taught me much, and I look forward to continuing to learn and acquire skills directly transferable to a teaching career.

Apart from my years of work experience, I have been fortunate enough to take advantage of many opportunities and courses in the past 4 years. The freedom of a bachelor of integrated arts has allowed me to pursue specific classes that would support my future career well. I took the Japanese language classes, not only to attempt to learn the language, but also as I felt it was important for me to experience the challenge of learning a language in a classroom as to better understand the struggle of foreign students learning english. I also took my university’s courses on teaching english as a second language as many of the teaching philosophies we learned are directly transferable to a career as a primary school teacher. Finally, I worked as a peer tutor, helping other students with classes that I had taken as well as english essay writing.

My ultimate goal for university is entrance into UFV’s Teacher Education program. I admire the focus that UFV takes in regards to indigenous ways of teaching and community. I also have a deep-set passion for other cultures and feel that UFV’s attention to multiculturalism is invaluable as a part of my developmental experience. Upon graduation from the Teachers Education program, I plan to work for a year abroad to experience teaching in another country. I feel that this is a vital step in my development as a teacher.

Overall, I have found myself fortunate that I came into university with a very clear direction, and the years I have spent working have taught me how precious learning truly is. As I approach the end of my university experience (for now) I cherish these opportunities to further develop myself and I view every lesson and experience as something that I can use to support and aid the next generation. UFV’s Teacher Education program is more than just a means to a career for me. It is the capstone to my education and the foundation from which I will continue to grow, learn and develop.